Professor Simon McKirdy has extensive experience covering corporate leadership, research management, policy development and the management of biosecurity operations within the government and private sectors. He has international expertise in biosecurity and, in particular, plant biosecurity. He completed his PhD in Plant Pathology and the University of Western Australia.
His career has included the roles of Quarantine Plant Pathologist for the State and Commonwealth governments; Program Manager at Plant Health Australia; eight years as CEO of the Australian Plant Biosecurity Cooperative Research Centre (now known as the Plant Biosecurity Science Foundation); and Biosecurity Science and Risk Manager at Chevron Australia. He is Chairperson of the Western Australian Biosecurity Council that provides advice to the Western Australian government through the Minister for Agriculture.
Dr. Simon McKirdy currently serves as Director of the Harry Butler Institute and as a Professor in Biosecurity at Murdoch University.
- McDonald, J., Teo, S., Chen, S., Coupland, G., McKirdy, S., deLestang, P., & van der Merwe, J. (2018). It is all in the looks: A rapid field-based visual assessment tool for evaluating the spawning likelihood of the asian green mussel, Perna viridis (linnaeus, 1758). Management of Biological Invasions, 9(2), 91-99. doi:10.3391/mbi.2018.9.2.03
- Dias, P.J., Gilg, M.R., Lukehurst, S.S, Kennington, W.J., Huhn, M., Madduppa, H.H., McKirdy, S.J., de Lestang, P., Teo, S.L.M., Lee, S.S. Chen., McDonald, J.I. (2018). Genetic diversity of a hitchhiker and prized food source in the anthropocene: The asian green mussel Perna viridis (Mollusca, Mytilidae). Biological Invasions, 20(7), 1749-1770. doi:10.1007/s10530-018-1659-6
- Scott, J., McKirdy, S., van der Merwe, C., Green, R., Burbidge, A., Pickles, G., Hardie, D., Morris, K., Kendrick, P., Thomas, M., Horton, K., O’Connor, S., Downs, J., Stoklosa, R., Lagdon, R., Marks, B., Nairn, M., Mengersen, K. (2017). Zero-tolerance biosecurity protects high-conservation-value island nature reserve. Scientific Reports, 7(1) doi:10.1038/s41598-017-00450-y
- Thomas, M., Gunawardene, N., Horton, K., Williams, A., O’Connor, S., McKirdy, S., van der Merwe, J. (2017). Many eyes on the ground: citizen science as an effective early detection tool for biosecurity. Biological Invasions, 19(9), 2751-2765. doi:10.1007/s10530-017-1481-6.
- Dias, P.J, Fotedar, S., Munoz, J., Hewitt, M.J., Lukehurst, S., Hourston, M., Wellington, C., Duggan, R., Bridgwood, S., Massam, M., Aitken, V., de Lestang, P., McKirdy, S., Willan, R., Kirkendale, L., Giannetta, J., Corsini-Foka, M., Pothoven, S., Gower, F., Viard, F., Buschbaum, C., Scarcella, G., Strafella, P., Bishop, MJ., Sullivan, T., Buttino, I., Madduppa, H., Huhn, M., Zabin, CJ., Bacela-Spychalska, K., Wojcik-Fudalewska, D., Markert, A., Maximov, A., Kautsky, L., Jaspers, C., Kotta, J., Parnoja, M., Robledo, D., Tsiamis, K., Kupper, FC., Zuljevic, A., McDonald, J.I., Snow, M. (2017) Establishment of a taxonomic and molecular reference collection to support the identification of species regulated by the Western Australian Prevention List for Introduced Marine Pests. Management of Biological Invasions. doi: 10.3391/mbi.2017.8.2.09